Sunday, October 19, 2008

Kentucky Music Hall of Fame and Museum

Hi,

Yesterday I played at the Kentucky Music Hall of Fame & Museum on 2590 Richmond Road Renfro Valley, Kentucky 40473.

I brought all ten of my song paintings and Josh Andrews a singer/guitarist came with me to sing three of the painting songs: Molly and Tenbrooks, Careless Love and Bury Me Beneath the Willow.

It's a good drive from Louisville over 100 miles and we arrived in Renfro Valley around 10:15 to do our 90 minute show starting at 11:00 AM. After we started unloading we met the director, Robert Lawson, who helped us set up the paintings and the sound equipment. Robert was very friendly and helpful and we felt right at home.

Josh Andrews and I did a sound check and played through a few songs to get warmed up. A small crowd had gather and folks were starting to sit down on the chairs in front of the homespun stage. We kicked it off with Molly and Tenbooks. I'd talk for a few minutes about each song and the painting I'd done for the song.

I thought we played well and our sound was good. I noticed one young woman singing along with me. At one point there were 20 to 30 folks there milling around and listening. After the show several people were interested in the art and I gave them my card and even sold a print of "All the Pretty Little Horses."

Robert Lawson liked my art and I decided to leave two paintings to be displayed at the museum; Molly and Tenbrooks and Banjo Pickin' Girl. Robert said he had a spot of Molly and Tenbooks in the Bill Monroe exhibit and he was working on a new display for Lily May Ledford and would have her song, Banjo Pickin Girl, there.



My painting of Molly and Tenbrooks (click to enlarge) on display:

Kentucky Music Hall of Fame & Museum Post Office Box 85 2590 Richmond Road Renfro Valley, Kentucky 40473

Robert is planning on having me back in the Spring 09.

More on the museum later,

Richard

No comments: