Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Little Maggie




Hi,


After the ice storm here in Louisville I finally got my painting of Little Maggie done. (click to enlarge)

It's the first night painting in the Bluegrass Series and we really need some close-ups to see some of the details.


Here are the lyrics:


Little Maggie

Oh yonder stands little Maggie,
With a dram glass in her hand.
She's passing away her troubles,
And a-courting some other man.

How can I ever stand it?
For to see those two blue eyes,
They're shining just like diamonds
Like the diamonds in the skies.

Now march me down to the station,
With my suitcase in my hand.
I’m going away for to leave you, little girl,
I’m going to some far distant land.

Pretty flowers were made for blooming
Pretty stars was made for to shine
Pretty girls were made for loving
Little Maggie was made for mine.

Go away, go away little Maggie
Go and do the best you can.
I’ll get me another woman;
You can get you another man.


The lyrics are basically the standard lyrics from the 1920s while the last verse is a more recent addition.

Next blog I'll go into the history of the painting.

Till we meet again,

Richard

No comments: